Writing Alt Text for Accessibility
January 1, 2023 - January 1, 2053$97.00
For users of screen reading applications and people with visual impairments, text alternatives (alt text) convey the purpose or function of an image so as to provide an equivalent user experience in a document or on a website. Including alt text in digital documents, websites, and mobile apps is a requirement of the Website Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and is essential to making your website accessible.
In this 45-minute virtual training, participants will learn how and when to apply alternative text ; test their knowledge through in-class exercises; and get an opportunity to ask questions of our accessibility expert.
By completing this virtual training, participants will have an understanding of:
- What is alt text
- What items need alt text
- When not to write alt text
- Alt text best practices
- Handling complex content such as infographics, tables, graphs, maps, charts, etc.
- How to write effective alt text
Who should view this virtual training
- Everyone who creates digital documents
- Everyone who posts to social media
- Everyone who creates and/or posts content to a website
- Web developers
- Graphic designers
- Anyone who has taken our accessible documents training courses
- An understanding of some of the limitations of making content accessible with alternative text.
- Consideration for creating content that will be accessible to screen readers.