Accessible Word Documents
June 7, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT$395.00
This course covers the core concepts of layout considerations for text formatting, graphical content, navigation, tag structure and ensuring proper reading order in a PDF.
In this hands-on, virtual training we take you step-by-step through the process of making accessible content in MS Word, followed up by a PDF accessibility review in Acrobat.
Through exercises and group discussions, you will review the background and theory of accessibility and how it affects document creation; the necessary changes to your current workflow and processes; and how to layout content in documents for those with vision, motor and cognitive impairments.
With in-person Q&A and hands on exercises, you will have the time to apply what you are learning and self-evaluate your understanding of this topic.
Best training I have ever had in a session! Ontario College of Teachers
I have taken a few training courses but this was by far the most in-depth and informative. Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)
Very interesting! Wish I had learned this earlier in my career. Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada)
During this training, participants will examine the following:
- Best practices of layout for accessibility (print vs digital options)
- Understanding the audience and the end use experience
- How to use the accessibility features in Word
- Understanding use of fonts, colour blindness and user experience
- Learn about how to modify and create custom text styles
- Update a non-accessible document to become accessible
- Preparing and updating paragraph text styles
- Adding and writing alternative text tips
- Anchoring graphics into proper reading order
- Preparing tables for screen readers
- Setting up an automated table of contents (TOC)
- Formatting hyperlinks with accessibility in mind.
- Setting up navigational bookmarks for PDF export
- Review of Accessibility Checker errors
- Different export options to make accessible PDFs
- Adding required file properties
- And much more!
The way the instructor walked everyone through each step in an engaging and helpful way was great! Durham District School Board
Great trainer! Very hands-on and practical session. The handout and exercises will be a great reference going forward. Thank you! Waterfront Toronto
Participants will be given a handout with reference to the content covered which includes step-by-step instruction. Helpful tips and workarounds from a long time Word user and trainer which will ensure a comprehensive and fun learning experience.
- Computer and computer mouse
- Microsoft Word (ideally the most current version)
This webinar was very helpful. I enjoyed the hands-on learning as well as being able to follow along with the trainer. The trainer answered all of our questions in a timely manner. Durham Catholic District School Board
- We suggest you ensure your software is working and up-to-date in advance.
- MAC users are welcome but must have the newest version of Microsoft Office
Great tips and tools to aid in the process of making docs accessible. Looking forward to Part 2! Niagara Parks Commission
Perfect! Met the level of accessibility training I need in my job and I learned a few new tricks. Ontario Government
I liked that you brought up the older version of Word, as that is what I am using.
Accommodations are available upon request.
Certificate of Completion
After viewing this webinar you will be awarded a personalized Certificate of Completion which can be shared on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook, downloaded as a PDF or shared via URL.
Your purchase gives one person access to view this webinar for 7 days from the date of purchase. Access is non-transferable and log in details may not be shared with others. No extensions will be given beyond 7 days.
Order 3 or more tickets to view this webinar and get 15% off your order.