Accessible PDF Documents
June 14, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT$395.00
The task of creating an accessible document goes farther than just correctly formatting the text in your original file. When importing documents, whatever the source application, some elements “get lost in translation” and additional remediation must be done in Adobe Acrobat Professional DC.
This hands-on, virtual training is Part 2 of our “Accessible Word” and “Accessible InDesign” training sessions and will teach you how to create an accessible PDF, that will achieve conformance for both WCAG and PDF/UA.
Questions it addresses include:
- How do I make a PDF accessible when I don’t have the source document?
- What are the accessibility limitations of having only a PDF?
- How do I make tables with merged cells more accessible?
- How do I fix incorrect reading order?
- How do I tag untagged content?
- We use a lot of abbreviations – how do I make them accessible?
Great training – lots of new information! Well structured session.
Who should attend this virtual training
- Anyone who attended the “How to Make Accessible Word Documents” workshop/webinar or our “How to Make Accessible InDesign Documents” webinar/workshop provided by Accessibility Services Canada.
- If you are currently creating accessible content and need a refresher or an upgrade, including Communication or Accessibility Coordinators, Website Content Managers, Marketing staff and Administrative Assistants.
So much to learn and use immediately. The workshop exceeded my expectations!
What you will walk away with…
- How to format an inaccessible PDF.
- How to identify several issues that should be addressed in source formats rather than by editing the PDF document directly.
- The correct structure for the different types of content.
- Understanding of some of the limitations and complexity of making accessible PDFs.
- A better understanding of creating and mending accessible content to pass accessibility checkers.
This was great and very helpful! Didn’t realize tables and acronyms would need further work even after passing the accessibility checker in Acrobat. (Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada)
By completing this virtual training, participants will understand:
- Compliance with WCAG and PDF/UA specifications.
- How to repair accessible content tags
- Manually tag or auto tag content in a PDF
- Modifying and edit tag properties
- Removing tags from specified non-meaningful content
- How to tag acronyms and bulleted lists
- Tagging a table of contents
- Creating tags for tables
- How to deal with merged or split table cells.
- Setting the document default page views
- Setting reading order and reflow order
- Adding bookmarks in a PDF document
- Adding required document properties.
Detailed and great with examples and practices. (Reena)
- A better understanding of how to make a PDF/UA document.
- Participants will be given a handout with reference to the content covered including some step-by-step procedures.
- A full understanding of some of the limitations of making accessible content without a source file.
Great examples and I appreciate the print out for future reference. (Deafblind Ontario Services)
Virtual Training Requirements
- Acrobat Professional DC – version 2020
- Knowledge or experience using Acrobat is recommended.
NOTE : Be sure that your Acrobat Professional DC (not Reader) has been installed correctly a few days prior and is working correctly.
INCLUDED IN THE VIRTUAL TRAINING:
- High quality instruction by a Document Accessibility Specialist
- A Step-by-Step Reference Guide
Accommodations available upon request.
” This was really helpful! I feel much more confident about remediating PDFs.”
(Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada)
” Good quality presentation. Presenter is excellent! Learn, knowledgeable and great at keeping us engaged. Learned more than I anticipated!”
(Ontario College of Teachers)
Certificate of Completion
After viewing this webinar you will be awarded a personalized Certificate of Completion which can be shared on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook, downloaded as a PDF or shared via URL.
Your purchase gives one person access to view this webinar for 7 days from the date of purchase. Access is non-transferable and log in details may not be shared with others. No extensions will be given beyond 7 days.
Order 3 or more tickets to view this webinar and get 15% off your order.