- This training has passed.
Accessible InDesign and PDF Documents
May 7, 2018 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm EDT$325.00
In this hands-on workshop we cover in depth topics of making accessible content in InDesign followed up by using Acrobat Professional. This course covers the core InDesign concepts of text formatting, graphics and working with navigational and digital device reflow features to include all users who require an accessible PDF.
This hands-on training course is designed to address the best practices for designing in an abstract format at the same time creating linear accessible content; and how to design with accessibility in mind.
By completing this workshop, participants will:
- Learn why and how to break old print design behaviours
- Understand the importance of document structure
- Learn how to tag text for PDF export
- Know how to set document language
- Tag and review complicated graphics and diagrams
- Anchoring content for proper export order
- Learn how to prepare Master Page items
- Understand how to create tables for screen readers
- Recognize proper order and flow for assistive technology
- Know how to create accessible bookmarks and a table of contents
- Understand the different types of assistive technology and audiences
- Understand different export options for accessible PDFs
- How to hide content from screen reading technology
- Applying a language setting within InDesign
- Know how to add the required Metadata
- How to test and tweak PDF files for accessibility
Participants will be given a handout with reference to the content covered including step-by-step procedures.
Who should attend this webinar
Anyone who has intermediate to advanced experience creating and editing content in InDesign. Graphic Designers, Art Directors, Creative Studio Managers, Communication or Accessibility Coordinators, Website Content Managers and Administrative Staff using InDesign.
It is recommended to have some basic knowledge of using and creating documents with InDesign and is comfortable using Acrobat professional.
INCLUDED IN THE WORKSHOP:
- Laptop (Mac or PC) and a Computer Mouse
- Adobe InDesign CS6 or CC
- Acrobat Professional Version DC or 11
- We suggest you do any program installations a day or two before the workshop to ensure it is working properly.
- A USB key will be used to transfer class files to laptops – ensure this can be done on your laptop.
- A computer mouse is recommended since it will assist in the use of keyboard shortcuts
“Accessibility Services Canada’s workshop “Accessible InDesign and PDFs” was fantastic. The facilitator’s training style was very enjoyable, giving practical exercises and useful tricks that will help us achieve accessibility on a variety of documents. I will strongly recommend this workshop to graphic designers and other creative minds who are searching for better ways to make accessible documents and visual communications.” Monika Villoza, Spaenaur