Evaluating Website Accessibility
February 9, 2023 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm EST
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until February 16, 2023
- February 9, 2023
2:00 pm - 4:00 pmEST
- $325 – $450
This virtual training will give participants the knowledge and tools required to gauge the accessibility of web content. The session will take an applied look at Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) by explaining how to assess and implement each web accessibility success-criterion. This course is made of two, 2-hour sessions.
Session 1 (Feb. 9, 2:00pm-4:00pm ET): The first session will introduce participants to WCAG 2.1, and cover testing of success criteria that fall under the Perceivable and Robust principles. At the end of the session participants will be given an optional assignment to complete on their own time in order to practice the techniques covered.
- Introduction to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines: how to read, understand, and test success criteria (testing guide provided).
- Automated accessibility checkers
- Using screen readers for accessibility testing
- Introduction to ARIA markup and what to look for in complex web interactions.
- Inspecting the Accessibility API
Session 2 (Feb. 16, 2:00pm-4:00pm ET): In the session we will debrief and share experiences and questions on the optional assignment. We will then cover success criteria that fall under the Operable and Understandable principle.
- Supporting operability and navigability
- Using the keyboard for accessibility testing
- Keyboard support for custom interactions
- Creating accessible and understandable forms
- Planning accessibility testing and communicating findings
By completing this training, participants will:
- Gain an in depth understanding of WCAG 2.1 Principles, Guidelines and Success Criteria from a testing perspective
- Be able to identify testable criteria for web accessibility
- Use testing methods such as operating a site with a screen reader and testing for alternative control navigation
- Become familiar with testing tools and resources
Participants will be given a digital website accessibility testing guide and list of testing tools.
Prerequisites: Some basic knowledge of HTML is required for this course.
Optional Webinar Recordings: Participants have the option of purchasing access to the webinar recording for 7 days following the live event.