Accessible InDesign Documents (Level 1)
March 8, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm EST
In this hands-on, virtual training we cover in depth topics of making accessible content in InDesign, followed up by using Acrobat Professional for testing and tag review.
This course covers the core concepts of layout considerations, text formatting, graphical content, tag structure and ensuring proper reading order in a PDF.
With in-person Q&A, and hands-on exercises, you will have the time to self-evaluate your understanding of this topic.
During this training, participants will examine the following items:
- Best practices of layout for accessibility (print vs digital options)
- Different export options to make accessible PDFs
- Setting up a document language
- Applying multiple language settings
- Preparing text styles and appropriate tags
- Setting up alternate bullet icons
- Embed alternative text into graphic content
- Controlling reading and tag order
- Setting up Bookmarks for PDF export
- Formatting Hyperlinks
- Adding required Metadata
- Preparing tables for screen readers
- Recognizing proper order and flow
- Setting up an automated table of contents
- Options to hide (artifact) content
Participants will be given a handout with reference to the content covered which includes step-by-step instruction. Helpful tips and workarounds from a long time InDesign user and trainer which will ensure a comprehensive and fun learning experience.
It is recommended to have some basic knowledge of using and creating documents with InDesign and is comfortable using Acrobat Professional.
- Laptop and a Computer Mouse
- Adobe InDesign (current version preferred)
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (current version preferred)
“Your “Accessible InDesign and PDFs” training was fantastic! The facilitator’s training style was very enjoyable, giving practical exercises and useful tricks that will help us achieve accessibility on a variety of documents. I will strongly recommend this training to graphic designers and other creative minds who are searching for better ways to make accessible documents and visual communications
“Easy to follow and very informative!”
“Everything was explained very thoroughly and made easy to understand better with the tutorials.”
“The step by step tutorials was very thorough and well paced.”
“Clear instructions and helpful tips. Was a good beginner course into creating accessible documents.”
“I liked how the sections were broken up. It made everything more digestible, rather than one long lecture.”