By January 1, 2021, all designated public sector organizations, as well as private and nonprofit organizations with 50 or more employees in Ontario, must ensure their internet websites and web content on those sites conform with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, Level AA, other than:
- success criteria 1.2.4 Captions (Live); and
- success criteria 1.2.5 Audio Descriptions (Pre-recorded).
“Internet website” is defined in the AODA as a collection of related web pages, images, videos or other digital assets that are accessible to the public. “Web content” includes documents such as Word, PDFs, and PowerPoint presentations.
The requirements apply to:
- internet websites and web content, including web-based applications, that an organization controls directly or through a contractual relationship that allows for modification of the product; and
- web content published on an internet website after January 1, 2012.
Private/non-profit organizations with less than 50 employees in Ontario are not required to meet this requirement.
If you are not sure how to make your website accessible and compliant with the AODA, we can audit your site to identify accessibility issues and tell you how to remediate them.
Accessibility Compliance Report
By December 31, 2020, all designated public sector organizations, as well as private and nonprofit organizations with 20 or more employees in Ontario, must file an Accessibility Compliance Report.
The purpose of the report is to confirm for the Government of Ontario that your organization has met its current accessibility requirements under the AODA. It contains such questions as:
- Does your organization have written accessibility policies and a statement of commitment?
- Does your organization provide appropriate training on the AODA Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation and the Human Rights Code as it pertains to people with disabilities?
- Does your organization have a process to provide accessible formats and communication supports to people with disabilities in a timely manner and at no extra cost?